- Check both the internal UM deadline as well as the sponsoring agency's deadline to ensure an on-time submission.
- Describe previous efforts that support your proposed work and what is novel about your new application.
- Do not propose something that has been done before or something that is so novel that reviewers will not believe you can do it.
- Provide a balance between extremes with literature supporting your idea and preliminary data showing your abilities and skills.
- Be clear about exactly what you are going to do.
Note: The number of publications and the importance of doing a pilot study varies by discipline.