The mission of the Office of Research Compliance (ORC) is to reinforce the University of Miami's commitment to a culture of excellence by providing a strong foundation for the implementation, maintenance and assessment of all essential research compliance activities.
ORC resides within the Office of Research and reports to the Vice Provost for Research. This office is responsible for duties related to:
- Audits: Conducts routine audits of good clinical practice and responds to requests for directed audits submitted by the Institutional Review Board (IRB), the Data and Safety Monitoring Committee or the Vice Provost for Research;
- Export Compliance: Maintains an export control compliance program to assist investigators and faculty in the appropriate transfer of items, information, or equipment out of the U.S., or to a foreign national in the U.S.;
- Conflict of Interest: Maintains a robust program for financial disclosure and conflict of interest management;
- Research Misconduct: Investigates and resolves allegations of misconduct as directed by the Vice Provost for Research; and
- Institutional Committees: Provides support for compliance committees as mandated by federal regulations.
- University Offices: Liaises with other University of Miami offices including the Human Subject Research Office (HSRO), Radiation Control, and Environmental Health & Safety (EHS).
The Office of Research Compliance has an active educational program
for investigators and research staff including workshops on specific research compliance topics such as good clinical practice, informed consent, documentation guidelines, adverse events, inspection readiness, and export control compliance. We provide custom programs for investigators and their staff when requested, and publish guidance documents on various research topics as necessary.