Embryonic Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (ESCRO)
The University of Miami Embryonic Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (ESCRO) provides ongoing oversight of research activities to ensure that faculty and staff comply with federal and state guidelines concerning the use of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) and human somatic cell nuclear transfer (hSCNT).
ESCRO Committee Objectives
- Provide oversight over all issues related to the derivation and use of hESCs and hSCNT, including establishing and modifying policies and procedures.
- Ensure all research involving hESCs and hSCNT conducted at the University (or by University investigators) is compliant with all relevant regulations and within the guidelines presented in the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) / Institute of Medicine (IOM) report Guidelines for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research (2005 and subsequent updates).
- Maintain registries of hESC and hSCNT research conducted at the University and hESCs derived or imported by University investigators.
- Review and approve the scientific merit of hESC and hSCNT research protocols.
- Coordinate with other University regulatory and oversight committees, e.g. the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Institutional Review Boards (IRB), and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
- Ensure that University investigators and trainees are educated regarding the responsible conduct of hESC and hSCNT research, including University, state, and federal regulations.
The ESCRO Committee meets monthly to review protocols and includes members from all University campuses, as well as members who are unaffiliated with the University and represent the community.
Forms, Policies & Training
- ESCRO Form (DOC)
Stem Cell Research Guidelines
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
Stem Cell News
- Removing Barriers to Responsible Scientific Research Involving Human Stem Cells (Executive Order)
- Miller School Experts Discuss Lifting of Stem Cell Ban
Related UM Links
- Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute (ISCI)
- Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC)
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- Institutional Review Boards (IRB)
- Technology Transfer
Juan Dominguez-Bendala, Ph.D.
Chair, ESCRO Committee
Director, Stem Cell Development for Translational Research
University of Miami
Phone: (305) 243-4092
Ellen Kapsalis, Ph.D.
Compliance Committees (IACUC/IBC/ESCRO)
Director of Research Compliance
Office of the Vice Provost for Research
University of Miami
Phone: (305) 243-2311 or (305) 301-3315