The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
The University of Miami ensures that all faculty and staff comply with federal and state guidelines concerning the use of animals in research and teaching through the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC). Working in conjunction with the Division of Veterinary Resources (DVR), the IACUC is accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) and meets monthly to review protocols. IACUC members include participants from all University campuses and the general community.
Reporting Animal Welfare Concerns
Concerns regarding the care and use of laboratory animals at the University of Miami can be anonymously reported to:
- Cane Watch
- IACUC Office: (305) 243-2311
- IACUC Chair: (305) 243-2032
- Office of Research / Institutional Official: (305) 243-9635
- DVR: (305) 243-2310
The IACUC’s Mission
- Review and approve animal use protocols;
- Ensure that investigators and staff are properly trained;
- Ensure that research and teaching activities conform to best practices as defined by The Guide For the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals;
- Inspect animal care and use facilities to ensure compliance with federal regulations and policies;
- Review the animal care and use program semiannually; and
- Investigate concerns raised by faculty and staff regarding the humane care and use of lab animals.
To contact the IACUC, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (305) 243-2311.